All-Natural Baby Powder - SPD Mom

SPD Mom aka Sensory Perception Disorder Mom ~ Mom of two Asperger/SPD boys, and talk about health related like diet, fitness, nutrition etc

Breaking

Home Top Ad

All-Natural Baby Powder

I really wanted to herb-it-up though because I really like.. well.. strong smells. Strong, natural smells.  Okay, this is for babies keep that in mind, it’s still very gentle and not THAT strong, people!!

The regular baby powder is filled with poopy ingredients, particularly the fragrance part which gets a ranking of 8 by Environmental Working Group, or “High Hazard”!  The talc component has high contamination concerns of asbestiform fibers.  Yes, I will please take some ASBESTOS to rub on my baby!  Not.



So what to use instead?  You can always source your own pure Talc, and Lush where I used to work used powders such as chickpea flour, coconut flour, and tapioca flour in their dusting powders.  I enjoy arrowroot in this recipe because it is super fine and smooth.

Beat This, Johnson: Baby Powder:


  • 1/2C arrowroot powder
  • 1tsp dried lavender flowers
  • 1tsp dried rose buds or petals
  • 1tsp dried calendula flowers
  • 1tsp dried chamomile flowers


I got my raw materials from New Directions Aromatics, and Bulk Barn for the arrowroot, and my school’s clinic for the chamomile and calendula.  Warning: if you have ragweed allergies, you may sneeze from the chamomile.

Also, you need a Vita-Mix dry blender, or a spice grinder, to make this.

I blended my herbs first in the vita-mix and it really liberated the beautiful essential oils in the plants but the scent was very strong.  I added in the flour and that toned down the smell obviously by diluting it.

I’ve only given it a few test runs on Alice but it smells great and natural.  It’s a bit clumpier because of the herbs and you could technically just use arrowroot flour for an unscented version.  Personally, I enjoy the power of botanicals and feel like just having them in there gives some extra anti-microbial powers.

I also made the same version for myself except using coconut flour instead, as a body powder.  It’s a bit chunkier / cakier, but the scent is divine!  Warm, coconutty, and floral at the same time.